Thursday, June 28, 2007

Get drunk on the highest Spirit of all!

This morning I was walking the dogs up to the foothills of the Pyrenees, from our home in SW France, and wishing that I had not drunk so much wine the night before.

It's not a big problem, but I must confess that, being surrounded by miles of vineyards, good wine is very popular here, very cheap and very tempting.

Then I started to think more deeply about why I drink wine so often. In moderation, it is fine, but if too much is drunk, too often, it can certainly damage your health. I came to the conclusion that it is satisfying a real subconscious need. It is not so much the alcohol as the social setting, in a bar, at a party, at dinner parties with friends etc.

I yearn for connectivity with others. I am a social animal. I love the feeling of being with friends and I especially love any connectivity that gives a sense of oneness.

I then remembered that when I was working in Cambridge UK, I would go to the Cambridge Buddhist Centre for several evenings a week. There we never touched a single drop of alcohol. In fact we loved drinking herb teas together. It is a popular centre and it normally had large groups of very interesting and like minded people. Although I am open to all and every, or no religion, I found the people who visited the Centre had the same values as I - non-violence, an interest in the key questions of life, a genuine caring, compassion and even unconditional love for others. They seemed so much more peaceful than the normal group I would find in a bar.

So I realised that if I wanted to reduce alcohol, I needed to find something that was even better at putting me into groups where I felt an equal or even greater oneness. Ideally, something that created an even greater oneness than my favourite bar. The Buddhist Centre was one such place.

Now I realise that I can get absolutely drunk, every night of the week, on the highest Spirit of all! A spiritual centre has taken on a new meaning for me now.

So I guess it has taken me a lot longer than most people to realise a fundamental timeless Truth, that like minded spiritual groups naturally create the greatest sense of Oneness possible. But let's not forget that any community creating activity, especially in the evening, a cafe, a yoga and meditation class, evening talks about anything, also serve the greater purpose of Oneness.

If I can't find a like minded spiritual group, here in rural SW France, I will simply have to create one myself!

Ron Young

More at:

http://www.in-love-with-wisdom.com/