Saturday, June 23, 2007

Spirituality and Business Ethics

The tangible business world

Although I started my first business at the age of 25 years, and have been in business on my own for the next 35 years, I have always found it to be a great struggle between my spiritual values and the world of business. I have often felt odd and out of place.

The business world has its own rules, economy and ethics. Historically, it is based on a culture (values and beliefs) of ‘fear’. Therefore, it thrives on scarcity, competitiveness and secrecy. In this world, only the strongest survive. It is well known to be a ‘dog eats dog’ world for many. This seems to be the law of the ‘tangible’ world of things.

I have never liked this at all, and many people have said that I am too honest, too sincere and too open to be a good businessman.

The intangible business world

But my world is primarily based on ‘intangibles’. Knowledge and brain power is what I sell. And, instead of being fear based, I have always promoted open knowledge sharing based on ‘trust’. My world is based more on a culture of selfless service and, ultimately, I believe it to be ‘love’ based, or at least having a high positive regard and respect for everyone. In this world of knowledge and intangibles, we promote abundance not scarcity, collaboration and not competition, non-violence, coaching compassion and support and not violent dog eats dog. It’s an ethic more akin to Christ like or Buddha like values. I believe it to be cherishing spiritual values above material gain.

But because I prefer to see the good in all, the divinity in all, and the true reality of what we are, I tend to openly trust and help wherever and whenever I can. But often, as a result, when I meet competitive business warriors, I simply seem to get eaten alive.

So what do I do? Do I give up the business world? Do I stand firm and try to change the culture? Phew, that’s a huge task!

But maybe my time has come?

The ‘intangible’ global knowledge economy is now here! It’s huge! It’s likely to be one of the major business tides for the 21st century. It’s business evolution at its best.

And the only way the knowledge economy will thrive is when the culture produces natural knowledge sharing. This has to be based on trust, open communications, collaboration, partnerships and learning networks.

The knowledge economy will trade knowledge on the web for money on the web. Electronic bits of knowledge will be pumped around the planet on the web and traded for electronic bits of money in return. In many respects, this will provide enormous potential for the development of many knowledge workers around the world. For many, for many millions of people, if not billions, it will provide them with the perfect business and personal growth opportunities.

A new business ethics is emerging. A business ethics that is based on trust and love.

Perhaps, those that choose to stay in the old world of business ethics, based on fear, will find it difficult to trade and survive in the new intangible knowledge economy? Perhaps there will be a natural evolution to a higher order of business ethics?

Maybe my time has come to be a much better businessman after all?

The knowledge economy is like any economy. It’s about making knowledge and selling knowledge. But it will be interesting to see if we can develop and demonstrate a global business ethics based on trust and not fear.

I sincerely hope so, and I really look forward to the prospect.

Ron Young

More at:
http://www.in-love-with-wisdom.com/