Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The great gift of non-violence

My recent blog about my first encounter with violence made me
remember that one of the greatest attractions to me, in another
human being, is an attitude of non-violence.

It is, for me, the primary requisite for inner peace.

So I was so pleased to be reminded today that it was Martin
Luther King who nominated Thay Nhat Hanh, the Vietnamise
Buddhist Monk, for the Nobel Peace Prize, as a result of his
non-violence during so many years of war and terror.

Ultimately, it was the non-violence of Ghandi that won in India.

And, it is the non-violence of Nelson Mandela, despite many
years of extreme hardship, that won through in the end.

I know, in my own life, that whenever I am confronted with
physical, emotional and mental violence, that my reaction is
to almost take pity, and I try to be compassionate if I can.

I do know that non-violence is absolutely right. Violence
is wrong. Peace keeping troops are doomed to failure, unless
we all have a peace within.

So I strive on to improve ....

More at:
http://www.in-love-with-wisdom.com/